Dr. Harold Menchel has been speaking on the subjects of facial pain, TMD, occlusion, and sleep dentistry to dentists, physicians, dental students and the lay public both nationally and internationally for over 20 years. He has been featured on ABC News and Comcast Newsmakers.
Learn about Dr. Menchel
See what dentists who have taken his course are saying about Dr. Menchel!
“Including Functional Occlusion And TMD In Your Treatment Plan”
He approaches this topic from his experience as a “wet fingered restorative dentist” having treated restorative, TMD and facial pain patients for thirty-five years. Dr. Menchel understood early in his speaking career, that although he has a passion for his topic, most dentists do not share this interest. They would rather focus on restorative, implant, and cosmetic dentistry. To that end he concentrates his presentation on restorative cases with TMD and occlusal ramifications.
This information is not available in most TMD orofacial pain courses!
- Separating fact from myth about TMD. Making a complex topic understandable
- Basic diagnosis of TMD for restorative patients
- Knowing who to treat and who to refer, as well as who to refer to
- Having restorative success with TMD patients
- Discussing the need for questionable expensive electronic instrumentation? (E.g. TSCAN)
Dr. Menchel also knows how important the above knowledge is to treatment success, and teaches attendees to avoid getting into “hot water” with TMD patients!
He presents practical essentials in a one-day format. The presentation is focused on the kind of restorative cases that will present in your office with occlusal and/or TMD issues.
He has designed the presentation so that each case history illustrates each treatment decision based on examination and diagnosis. Specific examples include:
- When occlusion is important when it isn’t
- Acute TMJ injuries (capsulitis, myositis)
- Muscle pain patients
- Controlling bruxism
- TMJ disc displacements, clicking joints, and limited openings
- Occlusal changes from TMJ arthritis; treatment sequencing and timing
- Use of Botox
- Basic medications for TMD, and home care
- Basic splint therapy (the only splint you have to use in general practice)
Dr. Menchel also has a companion sleep dentistry course “Sleep Dentistry Made Ridiculously Simple”. Many study clubs prefer this 90-minute format the night before the all day course. Presented are:
- Basics of sleep physiology
- Screening patients for sleep disordered breathing
- How to coordinate treatment with a sleep physician
- Sleep testing both lab and home testing
- How to choose a sleep appliance
- Impressions, bite records, insertion, and recall for dental sleep appliances
- Marketing and insurance considerations for sleep dentistry
Hands on courses are also available.
He is happy to customize the presentation to the needs of your study club.
Most importantly this topic is essential for every dentist, whether they choose to treat TMD or not.